blankhomeaboutthe fammy faithwhats cookinget crafty

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Elastic Bookmarks

If you would have told me 8 years ago that I would be reading for enjoyment I would have called you crazy. Let me explain. Over 8 years ago I had changed my college major three times and was at my wits end with school. College was beginning to feel like a career at this point. I needed to figure out what I wanted to do, what classes to take and get the heck out of dodge and do it with a degree! At that point I decided to change my major to what came easiest to me so that I could expedite the process. I knew I could read and I knew I could write...a major in English it would be. At the same time I also decided I would minor in history. Little did I know that between the two majors I would be inundated with sooooooooooooo many books to read that it would turn what was a pleasure of mine into a serious burden. After graduating I all but swore off reading for the rest of my life. And its true, I don't think I picked up a book to read for probably 3 or 4 years. Sad but true. But I am happy to say that I got over my hump and I have regained my love for reading. A few of my favorite reads the last few years have been:

The Power of One (one of my all time favorite reads!!!) *Warning* do not see the movie, it is horrible and does not follow the book at all. If you have seen the movie and not read the book then you need to forget that you saw the movie and go read the book :)

Modoc. Be prepared to cry.
So sweet

The Education of Little Tree
Humerous, sad and moving

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Crazy name but a great book

The Zookeepers Wife
Moving Historical Book

The current book I am reading is 
A Fine Balance
I haven't finished it yet but I am enjoying what I have read so far.

Now that I am back in the swing of reading I can't tell you how many times I have set a bookmark into a book to hold my place only to have it fall or slip out somehow. And how frustrating is it to have to thumb through the pages trying to figure out where you left off! Tell me I am not the only one!! Well I have created the solution to my long felt problem...elastic bookmarks made with, you got it, elastic! Perfection in a bookmark folks! Best part is that you can use them for tall, short, fat or thin books, they don't discriminate! I even made three elastic bookmarks for my nieces last Christmas. It was a total hit! All I did was cut some felt into a shape I wanted, add some trimming or embroider a design, attach elastic to the back and cover it with another piece of felt the same shape and tada, elastic bookmark!
Check out a few of these beauties now in the rotation:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips