blankhomeaboutthe fammy faithwhats cookinget crafty

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chewy Coconut Toffe Macaroons Dipped in Chocolate

Macaroons macaroons, oh how I thought I knew all there was to know about macaroons...I was wrong. I had no idea that almost every culture has a variation of a macaroon; from Irish to Turkish, it seems people have been making macaroons for centuries. Up until 7 years ago the only kind of macaroon I had ever tried was a dry crispy coconut macaroon. I wasn't so amazed with my experience and haven't tried another since.
It wasn't until Ben and I were first married that we took a drive to the weekly farmers market in San Francisco at the Fairy Building. And it was there that I tried one of Miette's famous French Macaroons.
 It didn't look anything like what I thought a macaroon was nor was I thrilled to notice that one macaroon was $2.25. I'm talkin a one inch round cookie with a filling! After I got over the sticker price I decided that I could spare $2.25 to see what all the hub bub was about.  Needless to say I returned to the storefront moments later and used up a 20 spot to buy 8 more French macaroons. Yes, they were that good and I have scoured every city we have lived in since trying to find a bakery that sells these little bites of heaven.
Earlier this year we were visiting Hawaii and stopped by a local flea market that was said to have a booth that sold the most amazing coconut macaroons. I was very, very, very skeptical. Especially since my last encounter with a coconut macaroon was not enjoyable and even more so because I had made my mind up that a french macaroon was the only kind of macaroon I ever wanted to eat again.
We approached the booth and I was shocked to see the varieties of flavors listed. Instantly I was drawn to the salted toffee macaroon and with some persuading I bought a bag. To my surprise the coconut macaroons were crazy soft and chewy and the touch of crunchy toffee and addition of salt threw it over the edge. I was totally taken aback! How could this be?!? To be sure I really did like it I had to taste test a few more and yes, they really were delicious. So much so that I decided I would try and recreate my own recipe when I got back. And I did! And this time I dipped my macaroons in chocolate!! Sinful, I know!!
Chewy Coconut Toffee Macaroons Dipped in Chocolate

Ingredients:
1 large egg white
1 bag (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 bag heath bits
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
1 bag milk chocolate chips, for melting and dipping macaroons 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and set aside. In a bowl combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, heath bits, salt, vanilla and egg white. Fold mixture together until combined.
I used a small ice cream scooper to drop large tablespoon size mounds onto my cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
Cook until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool. Once cooled I dipped the bottoms of all of my macaroons into melted milk chocolate for a little over the edge decadence!

1 comment:

  1. These looks amazing–they ARE a perfect gift for any occassion! One of my favorite treats!

    Zia
    You won't believe this healing in Jesus Christ's name

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips